Qualities of a Crochet Friendly Local Yarn Shop
As a crocheter, it is sometimes hard to find a yarn shop that meets all our unique needs. I am not sure about you but I have gone into countless yarn shops looking for that special hook like a 4.25mm hook or a great decorative crochet hook only to find that LYS X does not carry them and they actually do not even carry crochet patterns. I know that may seem silly to you with the reintroduction of crochet but it is a pervasive problem. As Creative Director of Chain Two, I set on a quest to find stores that are crochet friendly that I could give the CH2 stamp of approval.
So what qualities must a great yarn shop possess?
- Great Staff:
A warm smile, a sweet greeting and an unspoken invitation to participate in the shop they work in.
Well versed in different techniques as well as a great resource to help lead you to the information if they can’t directly help you.
- Willingness to help
I love it when I am having a tough time deciding on a yarn to work with or am looking for something specific and a member of the staff can easily point me in the right direction.
d. Social Media Presence
I love reading about what is going on at my local yarn
It not only is interesting but engages me in a relationship.
- Great Selection
- Great range of fibers from cotton to wool and everything in between
- Carries yarn that is appropriate for all seasons
- Good range of prices so that all budgets can comfortably shop there
- Books- Enough said! I cannot get enough information.
NOTE: This is tough especially in the wonderful world of crochet but it is very important.
- Ability to teach the beginner to the advanced
- Variety in techniques: Tunisian crochet, broomstick lace, entrelac, cables, filet crochet, color work etc…
- Dedication to the Hook
- Involvement in community stitching projects such as a charity project, guilds etc.
- Involvement in online stitching communities such as Ravelry
- Attendance at TNNA or TKGA or CGOA conferences
- Pattern Assistance
- Do they have a specific time I can come in and ask for help on a certain pattern?
- Ability to give quality advice
- Ability to direct to me to a pattern that is appropriate to the level of my stitching!
A great article from our Summer Issue of the FIRST online digital magazine dedicated to crochet! Come check us out on http://www.chaintwo.com
http://www.chaintwoezine.etsy.com, ravlery : name chaintwomag, twitter: @chaintwo ,